Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Grrr Nola!

I'm a big fan of breakfast. It really can set the tone for your day. One of my favorites is granola with yogurt,  all homemade. I've got the yogurt making down. (See, Yogurt) But I'm still hunting for Zenny's recipe for granola. I just can't get that flavor out of my head.

I've done some googling and have started making my own batches, tweaking it here and there until I find the flavor she mastered...or something close. I did something very right last time...so why oh why did I not write the combination down somewhere?! Back to the drawing board.

Granola is fairly simple to make. Mix your ingredients, bake stirring occasionally until you can smell it then it's done. And man how wonderful the kitchen smells with baking granola. (325 for about 30 mins)

I made a batch this week and thankfully, it's close. Just missing some freshly shredded coconut. This is what I had in it:
  • 4 cups of rolled oats
  • 1 cup of bran flakes
  • pecans (I just dumped the bag in)
  • sesame seeds
  • ground flax
  • sunflower seeds
  • 1-2 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp of oil
For me it's the cinnamon that is the flavor that haunts me. Getting so close. :)

Tammy
One of The Girls

I had a photo but the photo picker in blogger isn't currently working. I'll add it when it's up and running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment