Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ham and Lentil Stew

It's winter. I'm cold. I'm feeling a little blue. I need stew.

Soups and stews are the ultimate comfort food; a warm cozy bath for your insides.

From planning to dining it's a loving experience. Standing over the simmering pot enjoying the warmth and inhaling big as you savor the smells while stirring. Blissful sigh.

Tonight it's an old favorite that I haven't made in quite some time, Ham and Lentil Stew from my trusted copy of Soups, Stews & Chilies. It was this cookbook that taught me the difference between my favorite one pot meals.

Growing up I detested stews. Over the years I have learned that what my family called stew was in fact a boiled dinner. Enjoyable to them, but not for this palette. Bleck!

A stew is in fact heartier than soups and typically with a thicker broth or gravy. It's known for it's chunks of vegetable and meaty goodness. Simmering for long periods of time it's the perfect home scenter!

Now, having tasted true and flavorful stews I'm a big fan and am working hard at converting my family. Giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment